Electronic structure and quantum simulation of materials
Basic course given by Andrea Dal Corso, Stefano de Gironcoli
- Where all begins: the adiabatic approximation.
- The self-consistent field: hand-waving justification, Slater determinants, the Hartree- Fock approximation.
- Making it right: Density-Functional Theory. HK theorem, the KS equations
- SCF for atoms: atomic energy levels and orbitals, the periodic table, symmetry and spectroscopy (Hund's rules, SO coupling, various coupling schemes: LS, jj, etc.)
- Electronic structure of solids: Bloch theorem, basis set expansions, spectral methods (FFT), k-point sampling, pseudopotentials and the like
- An almost free lunch: Hellmann-Feynman and Stress theorems.
- Structural optimization, Molecular Dynamics
- Density-functional theory: Jacob's ladder of xc functionals.